RE: Earning Trophies? Nope.

To: Mark Shaw <autox@inficad.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Earning Trophies? Nope.
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:17:44 -0700
Mark Shaw writes...

>What is interesting about the term "competition" is that it is defined as
>involving somebody else.  If nobody shows up you are simply not competing.
>Now if you want to call it something else, like a "demonstration" then
>maybe everybody is entitled to getting a trophy for making a good demo.
>But don't call it getting a trophy for competing.

In 1987 I was the only entrant in APL at the Solo II Nationals. I was kind
of embarassed by it, but still, having come all that way from California to
be told, "Sorry, you're the only one. You get zilch," would have seriously
hurt my feelings, me being just a kid and all. I just found this trophy
among some other things as I was unpacking in my new abode. It brought back
a lot of nice memories.

I liked what Charlotte King told me that year. She won like a billion
championships in a row, often times with competitors (whom she'd SQUASH!),
and sometimes by herself. (Author's note: it wasn't HER fault no one showed
up, and back then, women running in the Open class "just wasn't done.") She
said, with her lively Fresno twang, "Honey, don't you worry a thing about
it. The rest were just too afraid to show up!"

Anyway, it DOES mean something to me, because it's the last trophy I got for
a long, long, LONG time. It's the last national championship Li'l Stroker
ever got.

Katie K.