Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.

To: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Subject: Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.
From: Mark Shaw <autox@inficad.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:03:38 -0700
Randy Chase wrote:
> Not as much as someone who understood the rules, wants to compete
> nationally, bought a car to do so, spent a year or more setting it up,
> with the intention on running national events including the finals in
> Topeka. This has nothing to do with offending someone as you put it. It
> does have to do with making rule changes that affect the folks now in
> the sport.

Wow! this begs comment.  Not because you wrote it, Randy, but because
I have heard it as the "gospel" for Solo 2 from several years.

Let's see.....

  I DO understand the rules (may not agree with all of them).
  I have competed in some Pro Solo and Tour events.
  I didn't buy a car to do so.
  Therefore I didn't spend a year setting it up.
  I have yet to run at the Nationals (cost and time).

So I only score 2 out of 5.  Guess I don't qualify as somebody
whose opinion counts, huh?  Even despite my starting to autocross
around 1965, being very active in practically ever regional
SCCA SOlo 2 since 1989, being Director of local Region Solo 2
program, being Timer, Registrar, newsletter editor, course designer,
for several years, etc.

Maybe we need to challenge the concept of what constitutes "value
to the sport."

Just for argument, suppose that not one of the people mentioned in
the "Who Will Win" in "Sports Car" or the "NA Pylon" showed up at
Nationals this year.  Would the event be cancelled?  Would those
who then win their classes not be considered valid champions?  Would
Solo 2 evaporate the next day?  OF COURSE NOT!

Also, in every event does the guy with the $50,000 invested in
a car add more to the event than the newcomer that showed up?
Who pays to make the event happen?  Everyone who pays an entry
fee (everybody is required to work at the event).  So a no-name
loser who shows up at every event is worth just as much as the
hot shot driver who always wins their class.  Sure there is a lot
of background work to be done, but that can be parcelled out to
everybody regardless of their "investment" in time/money in their
car/driving.

I think we place way too much emphasis on keeping the old timers
and the "serious" folks happy for fear that the sport will go
away the minute they get pissed and leave.  If you do the analysis
you will notice that these folks make up only about 15-25% of the
crowd.  And if they were the ONLY ones doing this, they couldn't
afford the costs or the work load.  Just like a popular rock
star or ball player, they need the "fans" to make this sport
a living thing.

I have been around this sports for decades and supported it heavily
where it counts - participation and work.  I challenge anybody
who has spent all their money and time one their own car/driving
so they could line their shelves with trophies as being worth
more to the sport.  Despite believing that I have contributed
well to the sport I still refuse to accept the notion that the
sport might suffer or collapse if I leave.  Let's get real...

Maybe the thread line should include those who think they have
simply "earned" their trophies by the time, effort, and money they
have spent; and that nobody had better mess that up for them
or they will leave.

Food for thought.... (maybe some flames...:-)

Mark