Re: Chrysler Taking its toys and going home???

To: "Jarrod Igou" <jigou@dmreg.infi.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chrysler Taking its toys and going home???
From: "Eric Marshall" <emarshal@radiks.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 00:43:02 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Jarrod Igou <jigou@dmreg.infi.net>
To: Eric Marshall <emarshal@radiks.net>; Phillip S. Osborne
<psosborn@gte.net>; <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 1999 11:56 PM

> I'm not sure how long ago you were looking for an ACR, but the dealer here
> in Des Moines had....I think 6 or so....in stock last summer. In fact, the
> last I knew they still had 1 or 2 98 ACR sedans sitting out there.
>
> I looked at them very seriously. Then I decided I wanted more toys on my
> machine, and drove up the road to the Acura dealer. :-)
>
> For the record, the salesman I talked to made it sound like someone made
an
> ordering error and didn't REALLY intend to order the ACRs. And they made
> that mistake two years in a row. Oh yeah -- and the guy who made the
> mistake is now employed elsewhere. Whether or not the mistake is related
> other employment is not for me to guess....
>
> Jarrod Igou
> 99 Integra GS-R

What Dealer in Des Moines?  Is it on Merle Hay Rd?  I'll be going through
Des Moines on my way to Minneapolis for Memorial Day.  I would check these
out.

I had tried to send a few responses privately to Phillip and also Steve
Bernard, since I didn't think this thread was benefiting the auto-x list
anymore.  Since it's still here though, I'll clarify this a bit for the rest
of the list by saying that this was in the summer of '97.  My brother and I
had seen the Neon ACR ads and had gone looking for one for further study -
only to be told by the local dealers that "you won't find that here."  My
brother (after looking for a car for most of '97) finally settled on a '93
MR2 in October of that year.  Decent sports cars are just hard to come by
here in Omaha, NE.  Most of the ones he was looking at (and having me look
at) had lots of problems.  We were interested in the Neon because it would
be a New Car in his price range (he gave $10,500 for the MR2).  I like his
MR2, I think he got a good car (I'm also an MR2 driver - so I'm partial)

For what it's worth,  I went to a local Honda dealer (where I had purchased
a new Civic Si a few years back) to inquire about a Prelude type SH after it
was dubbed "the Best handling car under $30k" by Car and Driver.  I received
the exact same response - such a car would have to be special ordered, they
would definitely not be stocking it.  Now I know Prelude SHs aren't that
uncommon, I just wanted to illustrate what it's like here in Omaha, NE.
I've lost count of the number of acquaintances who have purchased Dodge
Durangos in the last year.

Yes there are Neon Racers in the local SCCA chapter, but I didn't autocross
my MR2 until July of last year - about 10 months after this Neon shopping
time frame.  I haven't been back this year (yet) due to an extra hectic
schedule.  I hoping to make it to the last couple of events though.

Yes, I'm geographically challenged in some respects.  The Nebraska region
chapter of the SCCA seems pretty strong though considering.  I hope to start
participating regularly (that's why I subscribed to this list).

ERIC M.