Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.

To: autox@inficad.com
Subject: Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:30:48 -0700

Mark Shaw wrote:

> Sorry you took offense.
> You missed the "not because you wrote it, Randy" comment at the very start!

No, didn't miss it all. You replied to my post.

> Your comments are a fragment of a more involved opinion about who has value
> to Solo 2 that I have heard  reflected from many other folks over the years.
> If you quote from a book and verse, then I might tend to think you have read
> (and believe) the whole thing.  If not, sorry.

The "thinking and believing" part are what comprise assumptions. I have
no idea what book/verse you are talking about (and yes, I know that you
are figuratively speaking). You are still making that assunption with
the comment above about "a fragment of a more involved opinion...".
FWIW... my statements reflect only what I say and are only my opinion. I
am not part of any cabal or part of any agenda. YMMV. And I am about as
un-serious at this sport as one can be and use Toyos. And I did not buy
a car for this. And I put less time in my car than just about anyone I
know that autocrosses. So, that means you are probably more serious than
I am. So what?

Now...
All I said was that someone who walks in off the street, should not have
rules quickly modified to accomodate them, if it screws up the person
who has been out there and followed those same rules. Anything else you
add to this statement is an assumption. I stand behind that statement.
**It is not fair to screw the veteran to accomodate the novice** This
does not mean I advocate screwing novices....(well, if you do, be
gentle).

If you want to get into how to help novices, than that is a whole
different subject, and what I do (ask around San Diego...I try to help
new people a lot) is help them. Offer words of encouragement and advice.
I ran against a guy in my class with an illegal computer and springs and
some other stuff. Basically a car setup for the track. Rules? The hell
with them in that case. I told the guy to ignore them. That is the right
attitude in that situation. But, why change them nationally to help this
one guy, and mess up someone else already out there? That would not be
fair or make much sense. Nationally, there are a large number of people
in my class that bought a car for this class. They set it up. That has
to be considered when making a rule/class change. I don't think *IMHO*
that rules are that big a part of being a novice.

Now, the rest of your rant:

Sure, there is some class distinction in autocross. There are
personalities in autocross, there are big names. So what? I don't
subscribe to the theory that way too much weight is given to these
people over the rest of us. I am not a big name in way, yet I feel I am
listened to by SCCA and that the rules are there for my benefit as well.
I have personally seen that people who help out, who volunteer, who
contribute to the sport are the ones that earn a lot of respect.

Do you really feel that *your* opinion is discounted? Do you really feel
that *you* are not given the same respect as someone more serious than
you? Do you really feel that this is commonplace? Do you have any
examples of how this sport "places way too much emphasis on keeping the
old timers
and the "serious" folks happy for fear that the sport will go
away the minute they get pissed and leave."  No I know one really thinks
this way. I will admit I am a bit isolated at times. Is this really a
common perception from others?

Randy Chase (damn..that was longer than I meant)
Tired of typing...want to autocross (but will miss the practice AGAIN
due to youth soccer games on Saturday....but kids come first)