Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.

To: "Mark Shaw" <autox@inficad.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:21:02 -0700
>Further, I made no comment about
>the worth of a person's entry...you keep injecting that concept.  I am
>merely pointing out that there are other ways to find "competition" if you
>are a single car class.  Why cann't we discuss those in a rational manner?
>Why cann't why suggest these to people in that situation?
=========================
Okay, now I finally have to chime in on this topic.

Just what is your basic objection to the single car/class trophy?  Is it a
lack of money?  I hope not.  Because that, IMO, is the only reason that this
discussion should ever be taking place.  Is it that there are no other cars
in that particular class?  Is a multiple car class the only form of
"competition" that you will recognize/acknowledge?  Again, I hope not.  It's
not the competitors fault that they're the only one who showed up in their
class.  So why would you propose a double standard upon a low turnout class
that you do not impose upon the larger attended classes?  If you really have
your heart set on running people in a PAXed class then by all means please
be fair and run everybody by the same standards.

I personally attend many events where I am the only DS class entrant.  Yeah,
it amazes the hell out of me also that no other Neons decided to show up.
;^)   Does that mean that I have nobody with which to compete?  HELL NO!!!
I have many other cars and drivers, regardless of their actual class, with
which I compete on a weekly basis.  Are we competing for the same trophy?
No.  Are we "competing" any less because of this?  Again, a resounding NO.

Some of the drivers could beat me driving anything including a Yugo.  Does
this mean that I'm not "competing"?  NO.  I chase them just the same and
some day, when my racecar finally comes in, I may yet catch them.

So I guess that most of your argument boils down to your interpretation of
the word "competition".   Also please remember that interpretations are very
much like opinions which as we all know are likened to armpits.  Everybody's
got 'em, and sooner or later they all stink.

>You seem to place a high value on a trophy for a single car class.
============================
Yes.  If the driver comes to the events, drives to the best of their ability
and does their share of the work for the club then in my opinion they are
competitors and are eligible for a trophy in their respective class.

Unless your region is terribly strapped for cash there should be no reason
that a club member shouldn't be awarded a trophy after they have met all of
the requirements.

Just my opinion, but a darn good one if you ask me.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

...i went right to it flooded the carburetor
cranked her up, slipped the clutch
and then somehow got into reverse she kicked
what the hell, next minute i was back in neutral
tried and again slow-ly, bare-ly nudg-ing
my lever right...........
"she being brand new"  by ee cummings