Re: Chrysler Taking its toys and going home???

To: pethier@isd.net
Subject: Re: Chrysler Taking its toys and going home???
From: Heyward K Wagner <sportscar48@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 21:45:03 EDT
Meet Chrysler:

Chrysler wanted to sell cars.

winning races sells cars.

cars that are better prepared win races.

Chrysler build cars that exceeded the current level of preparation.

Meet SCCA:

SCCA is a club.

Clubs encourage even competition.

SCCA officials tried to level the field with the "trunk kit".

I "think" that most of us can agree on this much.  The problem lies in
that SCCA was too eager to level the field and Chrysler was only
interested as long as they where winning.  Did you really expect Dodge to
run an ad that said "no other manufacture blew as many head gaskets at
the Runoffs?"  The fact is that Chrysler is not going to pour money in to
a program that they are not getting anything out of and SCCA is not going
to let a company dominate a class forever.  Because no other manufacture
was willing to build a better mouse trap, SCCA was left to either miss
class cars, or introduce trunk kits.

Showroom stock is dead, but it was holding on by a string prior to Neon.
The Neons kept SS on life support for about 4 years.  Numbers where so
far down in SSA, where there were no Neons, that SCCA had to cut the
class.

The fact is that the Neon caused SCCA to screw up a already dying class.

perhaps we should have paid more attention to the Dodge tag line, "the
rules have changed....."

hkw